Posted by: jkirkby8712 | October 31, 2011

Sunday, 30th October 2011 – more military losses in Afghanistan conflict!

To be honest, I really did not feel like getting up this morning for my radio program, but needless to say, we did!!!  And while as usual, I enjoyed playing the selection of music I had put together for the show, I did remain somewhat ‘weary’ throughout my time on air. Hopefully it didn’t come over that way. The weather prediction was cloudy with showers, and a top temperature of just 17 degrees. It was actually quite mild when I left home, but by 9.30am upon my return, it was drizzling rain, and almost wintry conditions again. Springtime in Melbourne  – we can get all climates rolled up into one day!!

Apart from the news headlines which were dominated by substantial reporting of the decision by Qantas, in light of various recent industrial actions, to ground it’s complete fleet for a couple of days, and the uproar and chaos that was causing within the travel industry [and enlivening public debate on the social websites],  the other news of an even more grave nature was that overnight, three Australian soldiers had been killed in Afghanistan and up to seven wounded, in another of those situations where an enemy dressed as one of ours, went on the attack. Nine News reported earlier this morning that:-

  ‘The Defence Department has confirmed that three Australian soldiers have been killed and seven others wounded by a rogue Afghan soldier in the volatile south of Afghanistan. The department says an Afghan interpreter was also killed in the incident. The Australian soldiers wounded are being treated at ISAF medical facilities. The shooting occurred during morning parade at 8.30am (1500 AEDT) on Saturday at Shah Wali Kot in Kandahar province, the ABC reported. NATO says two Australian diggers were killed and the third later died of his injuries after “an individual wearing an Afghan National Army uniform apparently turned his weapon on Afghan and coalition forces”. It said the shooter was also killed in the incident, but gave no further details. General Abdul Hameed, commander of 205 Atal corps in the south, said an Afghan soldier with three years’ experience had carried out the shooting. “At around 8.30 this morning (3pm AEDT), an ANA soldier named Darwish who had been serving as an ANA soldier for the past three years opened fire on a group of Australian military officers, killing three of them,” said Hameed. “The attacker was also gunned down by ISAF soldiers.”

It’s not the first time an Afghan soldier has killed an Australian soldier. In May this year, 25-year-old Lance Corporal Andrew Gordon Jones was shot dead by a rogue ANA soldier at the Patrol Base Marshal in the Chora Valley. Fears of infiltration within the Afghan army ranks have risen as Western backers fund and train a huge expansion of the fledgling national force ahead of the withdrawal of all foreign combat forces scheduled for 2014. The announcement came as a suicide car bomber in the capital Kabul struck a US-run NATO bus travelling through the southwest of the city, killing at least 17 people, including 13 US soldiers. The death of the three diggers on Saturday is the single worst incident involving Australians since June last year when three members of the Sydney-based 2nd Commando Regiment died in a helicopter crash in Kandahar province. A total of 32 Australian soldiers have now been killed in a decade of involvement in Afghanistan.  Well past time we got out of that country!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: